Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Trouble in Paradise

Joined this great forum dedicated to the Road Star, roadstarclinic.com. In a "Hello, My name is..." posting in the Introduction section, which was immediately, and enthusiastically responded to, one of the posters suggested to have the bike's VIN run by a dealer to see if a mandatory transmission safety recall had been applied.

I called the ORIGINAL dealer, Barney's of St. Petersburg, and Mike, the service manager, ran the VIN and sure enough, it had not been applied.  Seems some clip might fail taking out the 4th pinion gear which would lock up the transmission while going down the road.  Yikes!  I scheduled the recall repair which requires an upgrade kit to be ordered. Kit should arrive end of May and the repair will be scheduled sometime the first week of June.

Another poster on the Intro post, suggested the recall was precautionary as no one had reported an actual failure.  I'm glad.  I will continue to ride it until the repair has been made.  This old 2000 Road Star hasn't failed in all this time so likely will continue to go down the road just fine.

Oh, I also scheduled tire replacement while it was in the shop.  The shop recommends the very tire I was planning on having installed: Michelin Commanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment