Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Turns on the cheap!

I had a set of left over LED amber turns from another project so cogitated how to use them on the cheap with the bobber project.

I was inspired by another bike, the Doc's Chops BOLT:


where the turns were pulled in and hidden under the head lamp.  I figured I could do something like that using the existing turn bracket.  For review:


The existing turns are already under the head lamp, but stick out like a coat rack.  So I pulled them off and cut back the tubular bracket down to size.


I fattened up the screw mounts on the LED turns with some 3/4" OD rubber tubing which just slides into the tube of the old turn mount.  I slotted the ends and used pipe clamps to make the turns snug.

A little paint on the rusty chrome:


And put everything back together:


The stainless pipe clamps give it a steam-punk feel!

Here I was able to catch the LED blinking on:


Now the damn lamp bucket looks HUGE.  Can't cheap out the headlight.  Will require purchase of a 5" Bates style lamp.  That will have to wait.  I woke up to one of my giant Like Oak trees down across my horse fence.  I'm going to have to pay a crew to finish the clean up and removal. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment