Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Time for Amputation! Cut it off!

I finished cutting the fenders.  The actual part of the "bobber" project where you bob the fenders.  

I started with the front. I first made a test cut to figure out the best approach, cutting a waste section off. Then I moved to the actual cut on the fender.  Both the front and back of the fender.  I left the back longer to help with rain displacement.

I was running without any front fender, but wanted to see what a sufficiently cut fender might look like. Jury is still out.  What do you think?


The real cut required was on the rear.  Some pix will explain it better.

I taped up the fender on the paint side to cut through.  And used a rubber band to layout the cut line. I then marked carefully along the line with marker and cut it.



After the amputation! (Yes, I readjusted the cut line quite a few times AFTER the pix above.)


I removed the tape and then filed the rough edge to eliminate any sharp edges.

Next I covered everything to paint just the cut edge.


The final product.

Complete view.




Next big steps are painting and powder coating selected chrome bits.  I need to figure out the total cost by getting estimates.  I only want to tear it down once.  But for now, it's rideable.


No comments:

Post a Comment